Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Mellifluous Cacophony


The string quivers, letting out a soft, deep note. My fingers caress the bridge, I close my eyes as I sense the vibrations of the horse-hairs of the bow. They run along the metallic strand, sending delicious sounds into the dense melodic atmosphere. Another violinist and I stand side by side; our two instruments send out intertwining reverberations, one high, one low, then vice versa. I play deep, long lasting notes while the guitars, basses, voices, and piano envelope my eardrums.
The lead belts out the chorus while other voices harmoniously join him, "Come thou fount of... every blessing... tune my heart to sing thy grace..."

The band generally plays more contemporary songs, but I absolutely adore the classics. "Before the Throne of God Above" is gorgeous, same with "Amazing Grace," and there's another but I can't place the name of it. I closed my eyes and just felt the music. I played the notes that I felt were right, and everybody seemed impressed. I could have sworn I heard the notes before I played them (or it could have been the piano). When playing with no guide, I really began to appreciate the sound of the violin and my music definitely had more soul.  I've always adhered to sheet music, and to say the least, when I was given the opportunity to just play I was intimidated. But, now that I've experienced it, with a full band, simply playing really is the best form of music.  Nothing else inhabits your abdominal and chest cavities the way a soulful note does, like a warm liquid filling an empty mug. I recommend you try it sometime.

On a side note, it didn't rain this morning after all. It hailed a little, but I was in lecture and only heard of the aftermath from a friend who had suffered through it. Sometimes it's good to hear you've missed something.

In a bout of scholarly fervor this afternoon, I began the major declaration process. I have yet to fill out paperwork and speak with an advisor, but I did complete the online application. I will soon be able to officially name myself a Molecular and Cell Biology major with an emphasis in Immunology. Then, once I speak with an English department advisor, I can tack on an English Minor. I smiled today when I began looking at upper-div classes: genetics lab, microbiology lab, immunology lab, pathogenesis of infectious diseases, differentiation of T lymphocytes, the genetics of cancer, biochemistry. So many amazing things. The legitimacy has begun, no more prereqs for me. One more semester and one more summer, then I'm home free to study what I came here for.

No comments:

Post a Comment