Thursday, February 17, 2011

Glory in Suffering.

I wielded my umbrella like a weapon today, but I was definitely on the losing side. "I'LL FIND JOY IN MY SUFFERINGS!" we yelled, splashing through the deep puddles and streams that littered Sproul Plaza. Everybody around us, with their green, black, polka-dotted umbrellas and rain boots were probably staring at us, but we didn't sense them. They were melancholy in this terrible weather, we were not. My cheeks and chin stung from the freezing wind. The rain came in slanting sheets, pulling my brilliantly red umbrella in every direction I didn't want it to go. Our ridiculous laughter hung through the wet air.
We separated. I walked toward Tolman, toward the apartment. My feet made little impact upon the flowing rivers engulfing the concrete. As I rounded the corner of the large, bulging concrete of the Psych building, a scene of red and black vehicles and flashing lights greeted me. I stared, wide eyed. Keep moving, don't stop and stare. The black boots on her feet protruded beneath the brown jacket they had lain over her to keep out the rain and wind. There was a thick, dark branch laying across the sidewalk and I had to gingerly step over it as I passed. Her muffled voice came from beneath the jacket. The man leaning over her had his hand placed gingerly on her side in a gesture of comfort. The muscles of my neck strained as I glanced back repeatedly. No blood. She must be okay. No ambulance, another good sign. I minded my own business and my legs continued to carry me to the stop light, though I continued to glance over my shoulder. I was consumed by the innate human need to know what was going on. I wanted the story. I pushed my way up Arch Street as the sound of sirens filled my ears and my wet pants stuck to my calves.
I was returning home from bible study. We studied Romans 5, a few lines of which state, "we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." My friend and I suffered the terrible weather with joy, yet that poor woman was hit by a wayward tree branch. I wonder if she found glory in that. I have to say, I smiled inwardly because so many people at least stopped to help her, and her voice had sounded slightly cheerful. God was watching. There is hope in humanity and hope does not put us to shame.
The pale, jade green of the legs of my pants were a dark shade of forest by the time I fell breathlessly into the door of my apartment. My shoes felt like sponges- disgusting, smelly sponges. I gave up avoiding puddles about five minutes into the downpour. My roommate had said, "You look... tired," as I passed her on the balcony on my way to the door. Ha, thanks.

Again, please ignore the videos and just pay attention to the music. (Okay watch the carrot flowers one because it's pretty funny :)

Red Umbrella by Forest Sun <- link because I couldn't find a good video version on Youtube.



4 comments:

  1. Do you still build character in finding joy in sufferings of your choosing (i.e. stomping in puddles)? Or do you only build character from finding joy in suffering thrust upon you (a tree branch crashing on your head)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good point. This sort of recalls monks flogging themselves in order to suffer as Christ did, and in order to build character. I personally believe that you build character more in finding glory in the sufferings that are thrust upon you (like the rain storm that soaked my pants). God doesn't want us to suffer unless he has a reason, i.e. good things can come from suffering. Now, this definitely opens up a new can of worms, for which I refer you to my earlier post entitled "Our Fallen Leaf Brethren" for my take on that. In the case of the branch, perhaps that woman has found a friend in the man who helped her, or perhaps she has gained a new appreciation for life. If anything, maybe it was for me. Seeing the rush of helping hands was a definite comfort.
    God doesn't want us to dwell in our sufferings. I guess the passage's purpose is to keep us optimistic, to remind us that we really have no control over what God has in store for us. Therefore, we must take what comes with grace.
    I don't know... what's your interpretation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suffering builds character period. Whether it's your own, or someone else's it will make you realize just how lucky you are to live a normal, comfortable life. In general, being able to find glory in an unfortunate situation thrust upon you is likely more difficult than doing it of your own choosing. If it is of your own choosing, then you're doing it for the precise reason of achieving that "glory." In a situation that you can't see coming, achieving that glory is all the more difficult, and all the more admirable in my opinion. I think that being able to see the good in an unforseen hardship truly requires perseverance, and will ultimately make you a stronger person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's really even a matter of achieving "glory," like a soldier who has survived war. It's seeing glory. It's understanding that you can transform suffering into healing, or you can overcome suffering to work toward betterment. From suffering, something magnificent can emerge. So yeah, seeing good in an unforeseen hardship does require perseverance, and the stronger person that emerges is beauty incarnate.

    ReplyDelete