Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ahhhh. The Internet.

       How many hours a day do I spend on the internet? Too many. Really, the sad thing is that I tell myself nightly, "Tomorrow, no internet or television for you sista," yet, tomorrow comes and my plan repeatedly fails. I'm not exactly sure whether it's a simple lack of self-control, or a need for some sort of social contact- my addiction peaks during my stay at home during winter break and during finals season. Is this why so many Americans keep their eyes glued to various screens and their fingers clicking upon Facebook, Stumbleupon, Google, and the like? We continually turn back to the screen out of loneliness, boredom, and sheer desperation? I spent an approximate three hours on Stumbleupon tonight alone and now I'm blogging. What the heck? I could have finished my novel in those three hours (The Scarlet Letter), or I could have met up with some friends, or even practiced Spanish (okay, that's a little bit of a stretch). To the above right is a sample of what I found and proceeded to post upon my architect-friend's Facebook wall. 
Shoot, if I hadn't been wasting my time staring at all of the glorious, random facts and pages that Stumbleupon has to offer, I may have begun the blog earlier. Perhaps I need to prioritize. The hours of winter break are slipping away. All I have to show thus far is: watched multiple movies: Post-Grad, True Grit, some movie about an autistic woman who invented things for slaughterhouses, Forgetting Sarah Marshall (dumb movie, don't watch it), and Devil, watched multiple television shows: lots of What Not to Wear, NBC news, 30 Rock, SNL, Mystery Diseases, and a bunch of other shit that isn't important, and finally lots of hours staring at/refreshing my Facebook page. Sure, I've seen some friends, but I don't think I've done nearly enough to make this break memorable or fulfilling. At least I finally set my parents up with WiFi, although this may have contributed to my addiction.This "screen dilemna" (as I shall not title it) will forever haunt me and, as I assume, the rest of America. Maybe I can break the habit once I get a life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment